Pass the roasted chickpeas, please!
Craving something salty or sweet? But striving to up your nutritional game from potato chips or crackers? We’ve got the perfect idea: roasted chickpeas! And, if you feel like you’re constantly finding yourself in the kitchen, maybe finding a couple more filling foods will help? Meals and snacks based on vegetable protein sources such as chickpeas are actually more satiating than meals where the primary protein is meat! Since they’re loaded with fiber, chickpeas – as with other legumes and beans – fill you right up. These crunchy, flavorful chickpeas are a healthier alternative to salty packaged snacks like chips or crackers. Have them as a snack, or serve them as a pre-meal nibble like you would olives or nuts. Feel free to play with the spices. Savory spices might include chili powder, cumin powder or paprika and sweet spices could include cardamom, cinnamon or ginger.
Other Quarantine Snack Ideas
- 2, 15.5 oz. canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1–2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. curry powder
- 1 t. garlic powder
- Sprinkle of salt
- Drizzle of honey
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a towel or paper towel, pat chickpeas dry.
- Place chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Toss chickpeas in olive oil and salt.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes – depending on your oven and how crispy you like your peas. Shake sheet pan halfway through cooking.
- Once chickpeas are done roasting, immediately toss chickpeas with curry, garlic, salt and honey.