You can make this super easy vegetarian caprese sandwich recipe with just a few simple ingredients – pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. We guarantee you will have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts, basil, parmesan, and lots of olive oil. It is a staple ingredient in the Mediterranean Diet, and it is well known as a good source of healthy fats. Although making your own pesto can be a lot of fun and can also be very delicious, store-bought pesto is a great alternative for those weeknight meals at home. It can also be used in countless dishes beyond pasta, pizza, and sandwiches, like a topping on eggs, chicken, fish.
Love pesto as much as we do? Try this pesto chickpea smash recipe.
Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches 1x
This vegetarian caprese sandwich recipe is a perfect way to feature the end of summer produce.
- 4 ciabatta buns
- 8 t. store-bought pesto
- 100 g (~8 slices) fresh mozzarella
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Slice your ciabatta bread in half.
- Add 1 t. of pesto on each side of the bread.
- Add 2 slices of mozzarella cheese to one side. Top with tomatoes and basil.
- Transfer to a grill or panini press and let the cheese melt and the bread begin to crisp.
- Slice in half, serve, and enjoy!
Feel free to add any vegetables such as spinach, arugula, sauteed mushrooms, or artichoke hearts.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 729.4 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 17.9 g
- Cholesterol: 4.5 mg