In this week’s recipe: Tofu Stir-Fry with Basil Peanut Sauce, we used Trader Joe’s “super firm” or “high protein” tofu. I love this form of tofu because by removal of the water, you get a dense product that can go from “package to pan.” To get the same consistency with water-packed tofu, it requires an almost entire roll of paper towels to press out the water. #wasteful No draining here! Just open, cube and cook.
High PROTEIN Tofu
With less water, you’ll pack in more protein per 3 oz serving. High-protein tofu has ~15 grams/3 oz. compared to 8-9 grams of protein in water packed tofu. Not bad for only 140 calories of plant-powered, planet friendly protein.
Soak Up Flavors with Our Basil Peanut Sauce
Since tofu soaks up whatever flavors you add, how about flavoring it with healthy ingredients? Instead of that high-sodium, high-sugar teriyaki packet that often comes with frozen stir-fries, make your own! Our peanut basil sauce packs in nutritious flavors from 1 cup of fresh basil, ginger and healthy fats like peanut butter. We hope you enjoy this tofu dish on the stir-fry fly as much as we do!
Check out last week’s McDaniel’s Short-Cut Recipe: Creamy Pistachio Citrus Salad DressingPrint
Tofu Stir-Fry with Basil Peanut Sauce
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
Basil Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 c. light coconut milk
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 1 c. fresh basil leaves
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- 1–2 T. red curry paste (depending on your spice level preference)
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 1 T. light soy sauce
- 1/4 c. water or vegetable broth to thin
- 1 T. olive oil or sesame oil
- 20 oz. vegetable stir-fry mix
- 1 16-oz. Trader Joe’s high-protein or extra firm tofu, cubed
Basil Peanut Sauce
- Using a blender or immersion blender. Combine all ingredients except vegetable broth or water.
- Gradually add water or broth to thin to desired consistency.
- Warm oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add cubed tofu.
- Sauté tofu until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add frozen stir-fry vegetables. Place lid on sauté pan for 5 minutes. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes until all vegetables are cooked through.
- Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup Thai Basil Sauce depending upon how “saucy” you like your stir-fry!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 415.4 mg
- Fat: 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2 g
- Fiber: 6.3 g
- Protein: 19.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg