The long dog days of summer are in full swing which means time for outdoor adventures and relaxing by the pool. Summer spontaneity brings excitement and breaks us out of our routines. Taking a much-needed break from the daily grind allows us to be in the moment with our friends and family and recharge, but it can be challenging to make healthy food choices when it comes to summer snacking. Lots of sunscreen, cool drinks to stay hydrated, and packing refreshing snacks to beat the heat is essential.
If you are looking for some make ahead snacks, Vanilla Cookie Bliss Bites, DIY perfect bar, and Berry and Beet popsicles are all great when you are on the go!
Summer Snacking Ideas
Taking advantage of ripe fruit this time of year is a great way to satisfy that sweet tooth. Cut fruit packed in a cooler can be an excellent way to stay hydrated. Foods with high water content can lower your body temperature and make you feel cooler in the heat. Fruit is also packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. When eating fruit, it is best to pair it with a protein so that you feel more satiated and stay fuller longer.
Adding Greek yogurt to fruit is a great way to add a bit of balance to your fruit snack. Greek yogurt is not only a good source of protein, but it is rich in vitamin B12, riboflavin and selenium and contains minerals like calcium, magnesium and phosphorus that are necessary for bone health. Yogurt intake has been linked to greater bone density and lower risk of osteoporosis in older adults. It also supports gut health! Beneficial bacteria or probiotics are added to yogurt, and when consumed increases bacterial diversity in the gut to support a healthy digestive system.
One of our favorite go-to for summer snacking is Frozen Yogurt Bark. This tasty snack is packed full of protein, fresh fruit, and healthy fats to keep you satisfied on those hot days. And a bonus is that kids love them! Make them ahead of time and they will be ready to grab when you need them. We hope you enjoy this recipe and make sure to tag @mcdanielnutrition on Instagram when sharing your masterpiece!Print
Frozen Fruit Yogurt Bites
This tasty snack is packed full of protein, fresh fruit, and healthy fats to keep you satisfied on those hot days.
- 1 cup of mixed fresh fruit (Sliced Strawberries, blueberries, sliced kiwi, raspberries, cut grapes, cut cherries, and/or chunks of pineapple)
- 1 cup of add ins (chopped nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, and/or shredded coconut)
- 1 ½ cups plain unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add vanilla, honey and Greek yogurt in a small bowl and stir until combined
- Pour yogurt mixture onto sheet pan and spread evenly with a spatula
- Add fruit and other add ins to the top of the yogurt
- Place the sheet pan in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours until yogurt completely
- When frozen, break yogurt bars into pieces.
- Either serve immediately or store in freezer until ready to eat.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 7.6 g
- Sodium: 19.5 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.1 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 6.9 mg