This lemon goat cheese hummus is my new favorite DIY dip! And, as many of you know, I am a huge fan of the Mediterranean diet for a variety of reasons. The research behind this style of eating for heart health and overall health is compelling. Additionally, the food contains a plethora of herbs and spices that make each dish full of flavor. Hummus, a staple of the Mediterranean diet, has recently gained more popularity in the United States. Hummus is low in saturated fat, and high in fiber and protein making it an ideal snack.
I’ve always loved a lot of lemon in my hummus, and now, this addition of honey goat cheese kind of takes it over the top!
Traditionally, hummus is served with an olive oil drizzle alongside a cucumber tomato salad of some kind. You may have experienced hummus this way if you’ve ever visited a Mediterranean restaurant. Aside from this traditional way to eat hummus, there are many creative ways to incorporate hummus into your diet.
10 Ways To Include Hummus Into Your Day
- Use it as a dip for your veggies, pretzels, or crackers. Hummus often conveniently comes in individual packs for on-the-go usage.
- Add it onto your favorite burger. Hummus pairs really well with other burger toppings such as grilled onions and tomato, and it will give you a whole new burger experience!
- Add it to your morning toast. Normal toast is great, but adding some hummus and avocado makes your toast a balanced meal that has the potential to keep you full for hours.
- Smear it on top of your favorite fish. Hummus pairs great with any baked fish, especially a mild white fish.
- Use it as an extender. Hummus can make ingredients like rice go much further. For example, when making stuffed peppers, you can combine the rice with some hummus to give the rice some more volume and texture in the recipe.
- Use it as a salad dressing. Combine hummus with some lemon juice, olive oil, and spices for a delicious and unique salad dressing.
- Add it to your homemade pizza. Make an easy homemade Mediterranean salad with hummus, olives, goat cheese, and vegetables.
- Use it as a chicken coating. Never heard of hummus crusted chicken? Neither had I, but it is a new unique way to cook chicken.
- Replace mayo or mustard with hummus. Believe it or not, hummus can replace mayo or mustard in many of your favorite recipes.
- Make hummus deviled eggs. Mix the egg yolk with hummus and olive oil for a fresh spin on deviled eggs.
Or…just eat it with a spoon for a quick high-fiber energizing snack!Print