The holidays are not complete without a tasty dessert. Although pumpkin pie is a staple Thanksgiving dinner dessert, we wanted to switch things up this year without sacrificing flavor. This year, we are making a vegan pumpkin mousse made with ingredients you may already have in your pantry – canned coconut milk and canned pumpkin – for a quick, healthy, and super easy dessert!
Vegan Pumpkin Mousse
Coconut Milk Whipped Cream
This recipe is vegan, dairy-free, and gluten free. You may not believe me when I say this, but you can whip up a can of coconut milk and turn it into a delicious dairy-free whipped cream. The coconut milk in this recipe adds a super creamy and delicious texture.
As you probably already know, we are big fans of canned pumpkin here. Canned pumpkin is not only a super convenient ingredient for short-cut recipes, like these pumpkin pancakes, but it is also packed with many, many nutritional benefits. Some of which include the following:
- Vitamin A: shown to support your immune system and help your body fight infections
- Potassium: linked to lower blood pressure and also reduces the risk for strokes
- Fiber: helps lower blood cholesterol and improve digestion
- 1 c. full-fat canned coconut milk, refrigerated
- 1 c. canned pumpkin pureé
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. cloves
- 1/4 c. toasted walnuts, for topping
- The night before or at least 3 hours before you decide to make this dessert, store your canned coconut milk in the refrigerator and let it solidify completely. Then, scoop out 1 cup of the solid coconut milk and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whip the coconut milk until it becomes light and fluffy. It should look like whipped cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.
- Fold in the whipped coconut milk until combined. Reserve at least 1/2 cup of the whipped coconut milk.
- Divide the pumpkin filling into 4 bowls, ramekins, or cups. Top with a scoop of whipped coconut milk, chopped toasted walnuts, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 13 mg
- Fat: 17.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.7 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg