Our back to school Nutri-bites for all of those parents who are trying to get their kids to eat one more vegetable. As we are speaking of vegetables, this brings up squash season. Your child may have never had squash before so, when you are introducing new foods into your kids diet. Introduce it with foods that they are familiar with. Our dinner for tonight is a spaghetti squash pasta dinner. First thing we will do is cook our spaghetti squash.
- To get started,
- Take your knife and cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthways.
- Next, take your spoon and carve out all of the seeds in the squash
- Bake squash in the oven (can be done in the microwave if you are in a hurry) at 450 degrees faced down for about 40-45 minutes.
- After it is done, wait a few minutes for it to cool down.
- Take your fork to peel back the squash from the shell. As you can see, it looks a lot like spaghetti!
- The secret to introducing it to our kids is mixing the spaghetti squash with actual spaghetti and spaghetti sauce. Not only are our kids getting one vegetable, they are getting two! One from the squash and one from the tomato sauce!