With Cinco de Mayo here we wanted to showcase some of our favorite ways to add some spice, flavor, and festivity to your day. This “Make it Your Way Taco Bowl” is a super quick way to get in and out of the kitchen in 30 minutes and leave all of your friends and family feeling full and satisfied. One of the best things about this is that it can also be modified super easily by switching up the protein sources to make it a go to meal for everyone regardless of food and dietary preferences.
If you’re looking for another tasty Cinco de Mayo recipe, try our favorite taco recipe!Print
Packed with veggies, protein, flavor and fun this is a dietitian approved go to for the team at McDaniel Nutrition that gets a lot of love all year round. Our favorite varieties and combinations of this Taco Bowl are below!
- 4-6 oz of your protein of choice
- Our favorites are ground turkey, ground chicken, tofu, shrimp and steak
- 1 pack of low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 medium jalapeno
- ½ bell pepper
- ½ sweet onion
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup diced avocado
- ¼ cup shredded light Mexican blend cheese
- Optional toppings: 1 tbsp light sour cream, 5-10 tortilla chips and/ or your favorite hot sauce
- On a cutting board dice your bell pepper, sweet onion, jalapeno, red onion and avocado. Set aside for later.
- In a medium pan boil brown rice per package directions and set aside for later.
- In a large skillet prepare your protein of choice with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Once protein is cooked halfway through, add in your packet of low sodium taco seasoning. Mix well until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add your bell pepper and sweet onion and saute until golden brown. Drain your black beans and corn and combine in a skillet to bring to a higher temperature.
- Add cooked protein back into the skillet and combine all ingredients until evenly distributed.
- Combine vegetable and protein mixture with ½ cup of brown rice in a separate bowl, top with diced jalapeno, red onion, avocado and shredded cheese. Add in any additional toppings for more flavor and personalization.
Nutrition Breakdown: 609 calories, 49 grams of carbohydrates, 25 grams of fat, 43 grams of protein, 4 grams of sugar, 6 grams of fiber, 248 mg sodium, 98 mg of cholesterol