Let’s just start by stating the obvious: All tacos are good tacos. But can we taco ’bout tofu tacos?
Lately, we are especially crazy for these Creamy Cilantro Chickpea and Tofu Tacos – a plant-powered version of our favorite food. Two sources of plant-based protein in one taco make these tacos hearty without weighing you down. The sauce is creamy with just a hint of spicy and a hint of sweet. The perfect choice for Taco Tuesday, or any night of the week.
A common question when it comes to tofu is:
We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 t. cumin powder
- 1 t. maple syrup
- 2 T. light cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: avocado, salsa, plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice tofu into 1/2 inch cubes, and spread on a lined or lightly oiled rimmed sheet pan. Bake 20-25 minutes stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent. Add chickpeas through hot sauce and stir to combine. Add tofu and cilantro, stirring again. Simmer on medium heat until sauce thickens slightly and all ingredients are warm (3-5 minutes).
- Serve on corn tortillas, and garnish with avocado, salsa, and Greek yogurt (if desired).
- Serving Size: 2 Tacos
- Calories: 388
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 401.9 mg
- Fat: 16.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.3 g
- Protein: 18.3 g
- Cholesterol: 4.1 mg