At McDaniel Nutrition, we are always looking for ways to simplify your weeknight meals while still prioritizing health and flavor. This enchilada recipe is a delicious, comforting meal that is quick and easy to make and packs all the flavor and nutrition!
As an added bonus, this recipe sneaks in extra veggies that those little kiddos won’t even notice. The garlic and onions in this recipe are a great source of prebiotic fiber that help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut microbiome. Feel free to play around with the variety of veggies you include in this dish! We recommend adding spinach, bell peppers, sweet potato, or zucchini. As the temperatures start to drop here in the Midwest, this is a lovely, cozy recipe to add into your weekly lineup.
Short-Cut Ingredient: Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
We called this recipe a “short-cut” because the premade Green Chile Enchilada Sauce by Frontera makes this recipe super easy and quick without lacking any of the flavor. We hope you enjoy this convenient, shelf-stable pantry staple as much as we do! You can find this product at Schnuck’s, Target, or Walmart. And, if green chile isn’t your thing, they also have a red chile sauce you can pick out instead!
In addition, we recommend serving this enchilada with a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream, some freshly made guacamole, and freshly chopped tomatoes. If you’re also looking for a plant-based recipe, check out this short-cut black bean and sweet potato burrito recipe on our blog!
This article was written by Michelle Hately, Dietetic Intern.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. peper
- 5 medium sized whole wheat tortillas
- 1 pouch (1 c.) Frontera green chile enchilada sauce
- 1.5 c. shredded chicken
- 1½ c. shredded cheese
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a skillet, sauté olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, and onion.
- While veggies are sautéing, prep the shredded chicken (you can use rotisserie chicken as another short-cut).
- Once the onions are opaque and soft, add the oregano, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the shredded chicken with 1/3 cup of the Frontera green chile enchilada sauce.
- Once veggies and chicken are ready, heat your tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Disperse the chicken and veggies amongst all 5 tortillas and roll tightly.
- Place each wrap seal-side down in your baking dish.
- Pour remaining Frontera green chile sauce over the wraps.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly on top of wraps.
- Bake enchiladas for 20 minutes or until the sides are bubbling.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving and sprinkle fresh cilantro on top.
- Top with avocado, salsa or Greek yogurt.
- Serving Size: servings
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 1196.3 mg
- Fat: 19.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.6 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 21.8 g
- Cholesterol: 64 mg