Cheers to turning broken candy canes into candy cane cookies.
Last year, heading out the door to see our favorite St. Louis tourist attraction, a neighborhood decked out in Christmas lights called, of course, Candy Cane Lane, I thought we should all have candy canes to enjoy on our ride over. Well, Henry and I must have unwrapped at least 10 candy canes only to find each and every one, broken. Many crocodile tears and on the floor tantrums over broken candy canes later, we decided to turn all of the crushed candy canes into this No Bake Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies.
Henry crushed them all for these No Bake Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies. And, I think it felt good. It’s a healthy-ish kind of cookie. Oats, chia seeds & chocolate – with some extra fun of candy canes for kids. Cookies for Santa? We think yes!
These candy cane cookies are perfect for a cozy afternoon snack, paired with a warm cup of tea or coffee. No more crying over broken candy canes for sure!
Holiday Recipe Inspiration
Check out some of our favorite holiday recipes:
No Bake Chocolate, Pomegranate & Pistachio Squares
No Bake Gingerbread Bites
- 8 T. extra virgin coconut oil
- ¼ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ c. milk (I used 2% milk, but whole milk would probably work even better)
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
- ¼ t. peppermint extract
- 3 c. quick oats (or regular oats slightly chopped with your food processor)
- 2 T. chia seeds
- Crushed candy canes
- In a medium saucepan combine coconut oil, cocoa powder, milk, and chocolate chips.
- Stir constantly until chocolate chips are melted and mixture begins to boil. Allow mixture to boil for 90 seconds.
- Remove from heat and add peppermint extract.
- Fold in oats and chia seeds until completely coated and drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a piece of wax paper. Sprinkle immediately with crushed candy canes. Place in the fridge and allow to set for at least 1 hour.
- Store in fridge in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 7.1 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.8 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0.8 mg