I’m just going to call this avocado coconut banana bread: “Thank You Bread.” It’s been on repeat in our home – both enjoyed by our family and hopefully by the people we gift it to. To be fair, it’s a win-win. As it bakes, the aroma infiltrates the house overpowers the smell of 3 boys + their tennis shoes. I’m more of a cook than a baker, but every time I bake this avocado coconut banana bread, it turns out right. It’s simple and straightforward…all things I need during coronavirus life.
As we wrap up the school year, and launch into I don’t know what: here is my personal top home-schooling thank you’s. If you have people to thank on your list…I highly recommend gifting them with this avocado, coconut banana bread
- Kindergarten and second grade teachers. You gave us the confidence to do hard things and grace when we said enough is enough (for now).
- Neighborhood friends who watched our kids ride bikes through busy streets, making sure they were safe, while I was on zoom calls.
- McDaniel Nutrition clients. For pivoting to telehealth, sticking with self-care and offering me kindness when we get interrupted by my boys asking me if they can watch one more episode of Scooby-Doo.
- My mom. For spending time with my boys every Friday over FaceTime offering them her gift of music.
- My husband. For handling breakfast, making me a daily lunch of scrambled eggs with spinach and offering me time on the weekends to be alone.
This gratitude list for my people could go on forever. It’s amazing how lucky you feel when you take a minute to think about it.
“The simplest and deepest way to make who we are at one with the world is through the kinship of gratitude. Nothing brings the worlds of spirit and earth together more quickly.” Mark Nepo
- Cooking spray
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 c. extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 c. dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and avocado.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until almost fully combined.
- Add the banana/avocado mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and mix until everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool before slicing.
Adapted from ALDI.us
- Serving Size: Avocado, Coconut Chocolate-Chip Banana Bread
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 20.2 g
- Sodium: 113.2 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.7 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 15.5 mg