Nothing says summer like watermelon or…watermelon gazpacho. My middle son, Patrick, is the fruit lover in our family. He picked out the heaviest, largest watermelon at the farmer’s market this past weekend. We cut the beast up, had a few slices and then had to shift everything around in the fridge to make room for leftovers. Then, he left for camp for two weeks. While I love watermelon, there’s no way I’ll be able to eat what’s left without his help. Watermelon gazpacho to the rescue! Transforming watermelon into watermelon gazpacho, isn’t just easy – it also takes up less room my fridge. And, instead of just a side dish of fruit, I’ve created a lunchtime opportunity for myself with soup!
Gazpacho, a Spanish chilled soup, made with tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers is my favorite way to use up produce and herbs from my garden. It especially comes in handy when you’re pondering…”Is this watermelon still good?” It’s the literally, the easiest soup to make because if you know how to make a smoothie, you can make this recipe. Find all ingredients, toss them in the blender and chill. There’s versatility built into this recipe, too. Don’t have cucumber? Use celery. Don’t have Roma tomatoes? Use salsa. It’s a fun way to play around in the kitchen and see how your creation turns out. Pair with some good cheese, sliced avocado and toasty bread! You’ll never say “no” to another oversized watermelon again! Enjoy!
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 4 c. diced seedless watermelon
- 1 cucumber, peeled, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and halved
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 c. packed basil and mint (optional dill as well)
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 T. sherry cooking wine
- 2 T. honey
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- Place tomatoes in food processor or blender. Blend until desired consistency (I like mine fairly pureed).
- Pour tomatoes into a large storage container. In batches, blend the rest of the ingredients until finely chopped.
- Add watermelon mixture to tomatoes. Stir until fully combined. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- To serve, top the soup with avocado and fresh herbs. Other delish additions are hard-boiled eggs or feta cheese