These pistachio and dried cherry energy bites are our cramming snack. We haven’t done one single math problem from our summer math packets, so we’re making up for lost time. Honestly, I think the reason why I haven’t had the kids partake in “formal” learning is because I have PTSD from the last 8 weeks of “homeschool.” If you’re a mom of a school-aged child, you’re thinking a lot about how you’re going to be handling August. And, it’s probably causing you some…worry.
My plan? Learn how to worry…better. So, I consulted my favorite therapist, Pattie Cashman, (while mindfully eating a pistachio and dried cherry energy bite), of course. Pattie reminded me that worrying isn’t all bad, and there are ways we can “worry better.” She also reminded me to be aware of how “attached” I am to achieving to comfort and security.
“When our desire for the comfort of security and confidence turns into a requirement, it will drive a great deal of our worries, fears, self-criticism and disappointment. Why? Because the world does not comply with our wishes.”
So, how can we better deal with worry? Here are a few worrying-better strategies:
- Don’t pull it closer or push it away.
- Come up with a set time, length of time and place to do all your worrying.
- Start with 15 minutes.
- If a worry comes up outside of that time, write it down in your “worry note” page on phone.
- Try the “questioning control exercise” When you worry, ask yourself if you worry is something you can or can’t control.
- Worrying is incompatible with being present. Taking part in mindful practices such as meditation or simply noticing your breath during the day can help calm your mind and lower stress-related hormones.
The last four months and apparent future bring the potential for worry. Self-care practices have never been more important. Adequate sleep, quiet time, exercise + healthy eating i.e., energy-providing snacks like these pistachio and dried cherry energy bites are certainly examples of that act.
Check out our other energy bite recipes:
Vanilla Cookie Bliss Bites
Hemp Cocoa Energy Bites
Pistachio and Dried Cherry Energy Bites
- Yield: 18 bites 1x
- 1 c. packed, pitted dates
- 1 c. dried cherries
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1 c. shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 T. chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 c. instant, quick cooking oats
- 1/3 c. mini chocolate chips
- Combine the dates, dried cherries, honey, pistachios salt in a food processor, and pulse until smooth and combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and stir in the oats, chia seeds, and mini chocolate chips until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cool (and easier to work with), use a spoon or cookie scoop to shape it into your desired size of energy balls.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Serving Size: 1 bite
- Calories: 103
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 21.6 mg
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg