Behind Thanksgiving, the Big Game weekend is the second largest food event of the year. While game day eats and drinks are something to look forward to, it’s always nice to have some healthier options available! We’ve got three recipe ideas for you, and you can find all the ingredients you’ll need at my favorite grocery store, ALDI. ALDI has all your game-day essentials, including delicious beverages and go-to snacks made from premium ingredients. Our healthy-ish game day recipes will save you a few calories, and ALDI is here to help you save your dollars for your entertaining needs!
Game Day Drinks: Beer-Based Cocktails
This year’s game day invitation list might be smaller, but we can elevate our virtual or in-person experience with interactive entertaining ideas. Instead of offering your guests a beer, how about letting them craft their own beer-based cocktail? For example, you might make a Beermosa with their Wernesgruner Pilsner made with a splash of Nature’s Nectar Orange Juice and a fresh orange for garnish or a Hard Cider Sangria with Wicked Grove Hard Cider, PurAqua Belle Vie Sparkling Flavored Water and a sliced apple for garnish. Personally, I think this is a great way to add festivity and lighten the flavors of beer – especially for those who might have more than one. ALDI sells world-class beers, many of which are even under $10, creating a cost-efficient way to stock up for your viewing party.
Healthy-Ish Game Day Recipes
Game Day spreads are also an ideal time to try out some new recipes! Many of my clients are looking for healthier options when they’re eating over the course of five hours, so how about including some plant-based recipe ideas? Below, you’ll find our Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, Vegetarian Black Bean Totchos, and for a decadent, fruit-based dessert, Fancy Medjool Dates with Emporium
Selection Honey Goat Cheese, a drizzle of honey, and a sprinkle of lemon zest.
Convenient and Safe Shopping at ALDI
To make the shopping experience more convenient, ALDI recently expanded its curbside grocery pickup service, which is now available at nearly 700 stores. Lucky for us, ALDI operates more than 40 stores in the St. Louis-metro area, providing convenient
access to fresh, high-quality groceries at unbeatable prices. For added convenience, curbside grocery pickup is now available for shoppers at more than 20 St. Louis stores. To find out which area stores offer curbside, shoppers can visit shop.aldi.us.
For more fun information and tips, visit ALDI.us, “Like” ALDI USA on Facebook and follow @ALDIUSA on Instagram and @ALDIUSA on Twitter. And, if you’re like me and want to share your own recipes, photos, tips and tricks, tag ALDI using the hashtag #ALDILove.
We hope your team wins, but if they don’t, at least you served up some Game Day recipe entertaining wins!
Check out our favorite Game Day Stats!Print
- ¾ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. paprika
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- ¾ c. milk or milk alternative
- 1 head cauliflower
- ¼ c. ALDI Burman’s Hot Sauce (or your fave)
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. honey
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F (230˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and milk, and stir until well-combined.
- Break the head of cauliflower into florets, about 1½-inches wide. Add the cauliflower florets to the batter, making sure each piece is evenly coated. Arrange the coated cauliflower on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the buffalo sauce, olive oil, and honey and stir until evenly combined. Brush the buffalo sauce mixture on the cauliflower and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 12.8 g
- Sodium: 953 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 8.7 g
- Cholesterol: 2.3 mg
- 1 package ALDI Season Choice Potato Puffs (32 oz)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. shredded cheese
- 1/4 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 c. pico de gallo or salsa
- 1/3 c. sliced black olives
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare tater tots according to package.
- Once tots are done cooking, removed from oven (but keep oven on) and top with black beans and cheese. Pop back in the oven until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top with plain yogurt, pico de gallo, olives and cilantro.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 585.9 mg
- Fat: 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 8.2 g
- Protein: 12.6 g
- Cholesterol: 11.1 mg
- 1 package Fancy Medjool Dates
- 1 package Emporium Selection Honey Goat Cheese
- Honey to drizzle
- 1 Lemon for zest
*Optional: black pepper, sea salt, smoked paprika
- Use a knife to make a lengthwise slit into the dates, then remove the pits. Use a spoon to fill them with goat cheese.
- Top each with a tiny sprinkle of black pepper, sea salt and the tiniest bit of smoked paprika (just a tiny sprinkle has big flavor). Add the tiniest drizzle of honey and lemon zest, enjoy!