The holidays are right around the corner and this vegan sweet potato mash will sure be a hit. All you need is a few simple ingredients to make this stellar dish. And the best part is that simple sweet potato mash recipe comes together with basic pantry ingredients you most likely already have at home!
Vegan Sweet Potato Mash Basic Ingredients
This vegan sweet potato mash comes together with just a few simple ingredients:
- Oats: to add a bit of crunch!
- Walnuts: for a healthy fat and a crunch factor.
- Plant-based milk: to add some creaminess.
- Spices: to warm up this dish, we include thyme, ginger, garlic, and oregano.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a healthy source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is an antioxidant responsible for the bright orange color of sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, and it is found to help us have a healthy vision. One cup (~200 g) of cooked sweet potato has over seven times the daily amount of beta-carotene the average adult needs.
Vitamin A is also an important vitamin that helps us boost our immune system.
If you’re looking for your quick, daily dose of sweet potato, check out this sweet potato muffin recipe.
Sweet potatoes are also a fiber-rich food. Fiber is found to not only keep your bowel movements regular, but also help fight inflammation, reduce your risk of cancer, and promote gut health. A medium-sized sweet potato has about ~4 g of fiber.
Check out some more of our plant-based Fall-inspired recipes below:
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Cauliflower White Bean Soup
Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
Vegan Sweet Potato Mash
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
To make this recipe ahead of time, prep the topping and filling separately and store in the refrigerator. Then, assemble and bake the casserole when you’re ready to serve.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 3/4 c. almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/3 c. oats
- 1/2 c. walnuts
- 1 T. maple syrup
- fresh thyme for garnish
- Peel and cut your sweet potatoes into chunks. Bring a pot of water with salt to a boil. When the water starts boiling. Add in your sweet potatoes. Cook until softened.
- Meanwhile, prep your topping. Mix your oats, walnuts, maple syrup, thyme, salt, pepper, and 1 T. of olive oil into a food processor and pulse until it becomes a course mixture. Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, transfer to a food processor or hand-held mixer. Pulse until it becomes a pureé.
- Slowly drizzle in your choice of milk, 1 T. of olive oil, and seasonings and pulse until creamy.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Transfer the sweet potato mash to an oven-safe baking dish. Top with the oat topping.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the topping becomes golden.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and nuts. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 381.2 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.5 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg