With an abundance of poblano peppers in our CSA share this week, we decided to turn them into delicious summertime roasted poblano tacos. Poblano peppers are spicier than green bell peppers, so the Greek yogurt in this recipe helps tame their spice. Make sure to remove all seeds and ribs to reduce heat as well. If the spice is still too intense for milder palates, any bell pepper would do!
A vegetarian taco loaded with plant-based protein and authentic Mexican flavor.
- 3 poblano chile peppers, rinsed
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, julienned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, small dice
- 2 c. frozen roasted corn
- 1 t. cumin powder
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. honey
- 12 T. Plain Greek Yogurt
- 12 T. cotija cheese
- 12 T. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Turn on oven broiler.
- Place poblano peppers on a sheet pan and broil on high heat until charred. Place charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and season with a pinch of salt and pepper; stir occasionally and cook until caramelized, 10 minutes. Add chickpeas and corn and continue sautéing until mixture is warmed through.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in oven for 15 minutes. Keep wrapped in aluminum foil until ready to assemble tacos.
- While chickpea, corn and onions are cooking, remove plastic wrap from poblanos. Using either a butter knife or your fingers, remove charred outer skin. Rinse peppers, remove stems and scoop out and discard seeds. Cut poblanos into 1 inch squares and set aside.
- In the skillet, add poblanos, plus spices (garlic, cumin powder, chili powder), honey, and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Unwrap tortillas from aluminum foil. Divide poblano-corn-chickpea filling between 12 tortillas and top each with Greek yogurt, cotija cheese, and cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 280
- Sodium: 647.1 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.4 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 10.6 g
- Cholesterol: 7.2 mg