In this week’s McDaniel’s Short-Cut recipe, we’re bringing you an Autumn Sweet Potato Soup. The best part of fall is SOUP! However, on most night’s of the week, we’ve barely got the energy to open a can of soup, much less make a homemade one. It kinda feels like this…
Be A Thinking Kind Of Cook
Enter Trader Joe’s Autumnal Harvest Soup – packed with pumpkin and sweet potato. Time and energy are in short supply for most parents, it’s important to remember that what we feed our families doesn’t have to take a lot of time. Instead of spending time in the kitchen, could we be more efficient by our head instead? We call this the “thinking cook.”
A thinking cook is one who might do:
- advanced meal planning
- take shortcuts (McDaniel’s Short-Cuts)
- finds ways to let the grocery store do the work for them (have fish dept cook fish, buy pre-cut produce)
- use a shopping service such as Instacart (one of my best moves of 2019)
Perhaps you’re thinking…um yea, but that also takes more money. For some of these examples, yes. But, I fully believe time is money, and if I can see an additional client while my Instacart friend is shopping that trade off goes in my favor.
Short-Cut: Trader Joe’s Autumnal Harvest Soup
This week’s short-cut includes a pre-made soup called the Autumn Fall Soup by Trader Joe’s. We simply sautéed onions, peppers, sweet potatoes, tofu + a can of black beans & added TJ’ soup. DIY soup doesn’t get easier than that. Look who’s got their thinkin’ cap on…YOU! Let us know what you think!
Check out other McDaniel’s Short-Cut Recipes!
Japanese Style-Fried Rice with Tofu
Autumn Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans & Tofu
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
The perfect sweet potato and black bean soup for fall using Trader Joe’s Autumnal Harvest soup as a short-cut.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 bell pepper (any color will do), chopped
- 1 lb. super firm (high protein) Trader Joe’s tofu
- 1, 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1, 25 oz. Trader Joe’s Autumnal Harvest Soup
- 3 c. low-sodium vegetable broth
- Fresh herbs: cilantro/parsley
- In a large pot, warm olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, sweet potato and bell pepper. Saúte until softened (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add tofu and saúte 2-3 additional minutes.
- Add black beans, Autumnal Harvest Soup, and vegetable broth.
- Simmer for about 10 additional minutes until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Top with fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 695.2 mg
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.8 g
- Fiber: 8.8 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg