This summer zucchini boat recipe will be your next favorite meal!
For The Sauce:
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. of ground beef (or turkey, chicken, or lentils)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 c. of red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 (28 oz) can of San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. sugar
- chili flakes (optional)
For the Zucchini Boats:
- 2 medium zucchinis, halved
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 T. panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut the zucchinis in half and scoop out the flesh of the zucchinis. Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and place in an oven-safe pan.
- Meanwhile, make your sauce. Bring olive oil, onions, and garlic to a pan.
- When the onions are translucent, add in your ground meat and cook thoroughly.
- Turn up the heat and add wine or vinegar until it reduces.
- Add in your spices, tomatoes, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let the sauce come to a boil and begin to thicken.
- Add your sauce to the zucchini boats. Top with cheese and breadcrumbs. Pour vegetable broth around the zucchini boats.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with parsley (optional). Serve and enjoy!
Leftover sauce can be frozen and used for spaghetti bolognese or lasagna.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Serving Size: 1/2 zucchini
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 501.7 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 31.2 g
- Cholesterol: 70.3 mg