- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped (or grated, if you have a box-grater) carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef or turkey (90/10 or 95/5)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (whole wheat if you can find them)
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions, carrots, oregano and minced garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes, until onions and carrots soften. Allow to cool.
3. Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients (except cooking spray) in a large bowl.
4. Spoon the mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray and top each with a light brushing (I use my silicone basting brush) of ketchup.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160 degrees. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Serve with a side of simple steamed green beans for a hearty meal that the whole family will enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Serving Size: 2 "muffins"
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 13.1 g
- Sodium: 553.2 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5 g
- Protein: 20.2 g
- Cholesterol: 107.2 mg