Ok, I only made this crisp because I think rhubarb is beautiful. The lemon and orange juice balance out the sweetness, but don’t be afraid to top this crisp with vanilla ice cream!
Citrusy Rhubarb Crisp
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 5-6 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 T. corn starch
- 2 T. fresh orange juice
- 2 t. honey
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 6 t. butter cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour/or oat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Dissolve corn starch in orange juice. Toss rhubarb with orange juice & corn starch mixture, honey, lemon zest and spread in baking dish.
2. Combine 6 tablespoons butter in a food processor along with brown sugar, whole-wheat or oat flour, cinnamon and salt until it mixes into small clumps. Add oats and chopped walnuts to combine.
3. Crumble the topping over rhubarb and bake until golden and beginning to brown, 45 to 50 minutes.